Even a good thing can be better.
We are constantly extanding the functionality and performance of Wings Platinum. Here we present the current developments in detail.
• It is now possible to jump to any markers in the timeline by holding Shift + Ctrl and hitting the curser keys ←or→ . So far only jumping to Position Markers was possible. However, you can also limit this to highlighted marker tracks.
• For playback of Multi-channel sound there are now up to 64 channels which can be selected in the form of 32 stereo channels.
• The new Trigger Activate in category Timeline shifts the focus to one particular timeline. If the addressed timeline is closed it is opened.
• Videos and picture sequences can now optionally be displayed without preview data in the timeline objects. This saves performance for timelines with an extremely high number of video objects.
• The Icon for drag and drop of the curser in the media pool is now again visible in the tree structure.
• The communication with Iseo now works again via UDP
• The latest version of MainConcept codecs has been implemented. In addition to removal of some bugs the new version contains a number of presets supporting up to 60 f/s and Progressive field order with a resolution of up to 4096 x 2304 pixels. At 60 f/s codec performance is very good and frequently even better than with lower frame rates.
• For the professional Nvidia Quadro series graphics cards there is now a special Multihead synchronization mode which allows optimum playback in Multidisplay Mode.
• Suggestions for optimizing presentation PCs running Windows 10 can be found in the new topic
• The PC hardware recommendations have also been revised and contain information on the use of 4K monitors among other things.
• For Dutch users there is now a help system with Dutch table of contents and index which helps searching for particular topics. The Dutch Help files can be selected under Global Options
• Notebooks with integrated graphics chips and SharedMemory (e.g. Intel processors) now use the Shared memory if no unambiguous graphics memory is available. This should make playback possible even on such systems. How well this works depends on the graphics solution and needs to be tested. If a high-performance graphics chip is available it is, however, the preferred choice for Wings.
• For creation of videos for the new AV Stumpfl FHD Player there is now a simplified output function which automatically ensures that the correct parameters are used.
• Option Always load in the object properties is required for media, which are to appear on the screen via live control and which would normally be located outside the visible range. They are not covered by the preload logic for the graphics memory and could not be displayed on the screen without this new option. The option is available in the Properties of the following objects: image, text, video, picture sequence und live video.
• A new MainConcept codec version has been integrated.
• In the bottom left corner of the program window tab Status (Advanced License and up) has been added which shows an enlarged timeline time indication. If the countdown function in a marker track is active both times are displayed. This tab can also be undocked and be moved to any desired location as a window.
• When dragging a variable from the Pool and dropping it into the timeline a switch object can be created optionally (instead of a data object), when you press the Ctrl key while doing so.
• On notebooks using Nvidia Optimus graphics chips running of EXE presentations has clearly improved. Unfortunately, due to the changes compatibility with Windows XP is no longer ensured. However, an XP-compatible version is now also available after enabling Compatible with Windows XP
• The Media Pool has been extended by a number of functions. Categories Trigger and Variables now allow highlighting and marking of several entries and moving them to a subfolder in one go, for example. Also deletion of several highlighted entries is now possible. All categories now allow moving of folders within this category. The Picture Pool now has an Alpha column to identify images with alpha channel. Trigger and Variables Pool now feature a column Used which indicates the number of times the corresponding element has been used in Timeline and Control Panel.
• The Trigger Pool of a project or template can now be imported in a project that does not yet contain any triggers.
• For videos the upper Pitch limit is now 100 instead of 10. However, you need to bear in mind that usage of extreme pitch values has a considerable impact on the computer performance.
• When the color profile for output is changed in the color management options a message appears saying that Wings Vioso needs to be restarted. Display data is only created after restarting when the now color profile is active.
• When the screen size is changed via the Properties Dialog Wings Vioso adjusts all screen fields, ticker fields and multidisplay areas proportionally, which, however, may not be useful for certain applications. That’s why there is now a separate function Change size, which allows size and location of screen fields, ticker fields and multidisplay areas to be maintained.
• The Basic version now allows usage of videos up to a height of 1088 pixels (so far only 1080 pixels), to allow compatibility with cameras that supply a video image height of 1088 pixels.
• Trigger Continue at video end can be used to continue timeline playback if the Locator is paused in an asynchronous loop video object and a new loop pass starts. If the locator in a loop video is paused at a pause marker, for example, (i.e. asynchronous loop is running), the timeline is played back after the trigger execution when the end of the video file has been reached and a new loop pass has started.
• By entering the upper limit of picture graphics memory graphics memory management is improved. So far high-memory graphics cards, i.e. with between 3 to 4 Gigabytes, caused problems because the graphics memory was not partitioned appropriately.
• During function Check project Wings Platinum now also checks if all drives used for the project have enough capacity. An error message appears whenever a drive has less than 1 Gigabyte of free memory space.
• When an EXE presentation is created its size is checked and an error message appears whenever the size exceeds 4 Gigabytes. In such a case the limitations of Windows prevent an execution of this file.
• Since nodes or keyframes in Spline mode may, under certain circumstances, be difficult to handle you can use the option to Convert to Bezier mode while the ramp shape is largely maintained.
• The volume of audio tracks in asynchronous mode can now also be controlled by track sliders, mix variables or Avio variables
• Variables placed in the Control Panel as control panel fields can now be found more easily in the Media Pool by right-clicking them and selecting Display pool object.
• Function Display timeline objects is now also available for triggers and variables, thereby allowing you to find the corresponding objects in the timeline more easily via the Media Pool.
• The current MainConcept code package (version 9.9) has been incorporated.
• The error report created when Wings Vioso crashes is now kept for 10 generations. This way the information an be maintained even when there are frequent problems.
• The remaining time up to the next marker can be displayed as a countdown which may be quite useful for live presentations. This way it is possible to see how long it will take until the next marker comes up. However, only those tracks will be evaluated where this function is enabled.
• Screen fields can now be positioned with pixel accuracy; so far only percent values were possible. For this purpose, columns Left and Bottom were added in the Media Pool. Alternatively, it is also possible to make entries in the Properties Table after highlighting the screen field in the Media Pool.
• The Properties Table now allows numeric editing of the following time values: Nodes and Keyframes, as well as start time, duration and fading in/out time of Objects.
• All time entry fields now allow adding or subtracting of values which facilitates entries. Example: If an object is to be extended by exactly two and a half seconds it will do to enter +2.5 next to the existing duration.
• During In-Screen Editing the dashed frame around the screen area can now also be displayed as a continuous line. This may be useful for certain applications such as stereo projection.
• The new option Force keyboard input focus during playback eliminated problems to do with remote control units in combination with windows that appear automatically. E.g. some windows pop up automatically on numerous computers whenever they are hooked up or when there are contact problems with audio cables. Since these windows in the foreground are the active windows all entries on keyboard or mouse as well as on the USB remote control refer to these windows and not to Wings Platinum.
• For efficient cutting of video and audio objects there is now a Cut Mode available which can be enabled in the tool bar. It allows distinctly faster cutting than before. This function is only available with the Pro License and higher.
• Function “Optimizing picture sizes” has been renamed Optimizing display data, which is more appropriate. The corresponding dialog now allows independent selection between optimizing pictures and/or text objects even if this function is not enabled in the object properties..
• Performance Monitoring is now also available with the Pro License. The new thing is that now different profiles can be chosen for evaluating and displaying the determined parameters. Moreover, the performance parameters are also determined when the presentation is paused. This is quite useful for playback of asynchronous loop videos or live player videos.
• The information on the screen during Sync adjustment is now better structured and has been provided with a new line for Performance Monitoring. Depending on the results of monitoring the line is displayed in green, yellow or red.
• Free storage space on the hard disk is now determined when Wings Vioso is started and after choosing function Extras - Check project. If only <= 10 GB are available a warning is written to the file if <= 5 GB are available and an error is noted down. Moreover, the operating time of the computer since the last booting is now written to the log file when the program is started.
• Loading of a project during program start can be prevented by keeping the Shift key pressed
• For Chromakeying the default value has been changed to improve effect and comprehension.
• For the text function compatibility with special fonts, e.g. *.pbf, *.otf and some truetype fonts has been improved.
• The Basic version now allows also playback of HD videos
• Text objects can now be exported as images in order to achieve improved performance in particular for multidisplay shows
• Thumbnails of pictures in Media Pool and objects now show the transparent areas in the form of a checkerboard pattern, which can be adjusted in brightness. This enables you to see at first glance whether an image file contains transparency or not.
• By converting video objects into Wings videos the data volume for EXE presentations can be kept small as only the length required for the show is considered.
• The new screen field matrix function allows simple arrangement of all screen fields as required. If necessary the tracks for the screen fields can also be set up at the same time. This makes “picture-in-picture” effects arranged in a mosaic particularly easy.
• Several objects can be compressed or stretched at the same time which leads to a distinct simplification for global adjustments in time.
• Unused screen fields can now be deleted via function Remove unused screen fields.
• The Help menu ? now allows direct opening of a list of all keyboard shortcuts.
• The Effect Pool now shows also the effects that are contained in a preset.
• When creating projects the Effect Pool can optionally be imported from a template.
• Trigger Load Project now allows loading of a specified project in Wings Platinum.
• If function Check project detects that a specific display ID has been assigned twice the IDs are corrected automatically. Any displays linked up with tracks must be re-assigned manually.
• There is now a ducking function for live comments which reduces the sound track volume via a keystroke by a defined level and resumes the normal volume level again after a second keystroke.
• Audio output now has a separate dialog in the Project Options. Item Master Level in this dialog allows selection of whether sum level control is to take effect on asynchronous audio or live player.
• The function for audio level reduction creates the corresponding ramp band modification for the required parallel comment objects. It saves setting and moving of numerous nodes.
• During project creation some Effect Presets for Alpha Wipes and video optimization are imported.
• The control track presets have been changed into combined control tracks to allow for easier modification.
• H.264 videos in the Quick Time container now played using the MainConcept codec. If you have used such videos in older projects you should check the Video Properties under Playback configuration in the Media Pool to see whether Quick Time player is still selected. If necessary make the required setting. Performance will be distinctly improved, which you can check with the Performance test for videos.
• The latest MainConcept SKD (9.7) was integrated in Wings Vioso.
• For output of an EXE presentation termination of the full screen at the end of playback can now be selected. Moreover, it is now possible to choose format-filling output which stretches the image to full screen size and allows output of 3D-stereo shows on TV units that support “Side-by-side”.
• When opening an EXE presentation the command line attributes for playback control become available that allow the saved EXE presentation behavior to be rendered ineffective.
• The Media Pool Pictures now has a column Capture date which can also be used as a sorting criterion.
• The Screen Properties and the dialog for EXE presentation creation now contain a function for determining the optimum display data size for single display shows. This prevents erroneous entries in particular when the aspect ratios of screen and monitor or projector differ.
• Cropping of videos is now possible to up to 9999 pixels. So far only 999 were possible. This allows HD and 4K videos to be split up into several streams.
• The ZoomMinMax effect can enlarge images and videos at high quality and is based on the Zoom effect. However, it has two zoom steps, that are entered as minimum and maximum values. This allows highly flexible use as transition effect for fade-ins and outs. See ZoomMinMax Properties.
• A show can now also be output as a Wings video, which, technically speaking, corresponds to intermediate video data and can only be played using Wings Platinum. This function is therefore particularly interesting for creation of split videos for multidisplay shows.
• The last problems for text objects to do with fonts - even for OTF fonts - and characters have been resolved.
• Changes in the multi-channel volume are now saved even if the dialog was opened via Ctrl + clicking the Effect button.
• Evaluation of image color profiles (TIF and JPG) now works again.
• When tracks are copied, playlist and audio effects are now copied along.
• Video and audio objects are now created with exactly identical lengths. A precondition, however, is that display data must already have been created since the exact lengths of image and sound are determined during this process.
• Modifications of text in text files linked with ticker objects are now displayed when the ticker object is played again.
• For creation of Windows Media videos data rates of up to 100 Mbps are now possible instead of 20 Mbps.
• The Demo version now also allows execution of triggers.
• It is now possible to create 4K videos with up to 4096 x 2304 pixels with the H.264 codec. Moreover, field coding Interlaced bottom field first / top field first is now the first to be selected for videos based on interlaced images.
• Automatic video output restriction to the required displays for multihead output considerately improves playback performance for the corresponding multidisplay shows as it minimizes data transfer to the graphics card. For softedge shows output must be continued to be restricted manually to the displays.
• In the Project Wizard Mixed Media manual assignment of PCs and graphics card output is now set by default for multidisplay projects. The other allocation modes that have so far been available can still be selected.
• Digital media can now be imported by dragging and dropping entire folders containing different media into the Media Pool. The digital media are saved directly to the corresponding category.
• Audio and video tracks now feature a playlist. It allows saving and sorting of audio and video files for playback on the live player .
• The Properties Dialog of images and videos in the Media Pool now shows the path of the corresponding file. In addition to this, a Play button has been incorporated for video playback on an external player, which can be used for a quick preview.
• The lightbox view now allows those pictures that are used in a show to be hidden. This way, any unused images become more conspicuous.
• There are now guide lines in the screen that objects can optionally be snapped to during in-screen-editing. Certain arrangements of guide lines can be saved as a preset and can be displayed at any time.
• Option format filling display and display at original size has been introduced for images and videos in the screen. With a difference between the aspect ratios of image and screen the image so far was displayed in a way which showed the entire image and some black bars. As an alternative, the image can now be displayed in a way which fills the screen. For this purpose the image is enlarged and no black bars are created.
• Predefined control track effects can now be imported into the Media Pool from a template or from other projects.
• Control track effects can now be dragged from the Media Pool and dropped onto several highlighted objects.
• The new category Effects has been added to the Media Pool. It allows complete effect sets to be saved as presets and applied to objects at a later time.
• In the Properties Table, tabs Picture or Video now allow direct addition or removal of control tracks for a highlighted object.
• There is now a tab Audio in the Properties Table of Sound Objects. In addition to Peak Level Search it also features a slider for volume control of the object (... setting does not work during playback) and a tool for enabling/disabling loop mode.
• Any fonts, languages or special characters can now be used for text objects.
• The new function View - Reset screens moves all screen windows to the monitor that shows the Wings main window. This is a useful feature if any monitors are not visible or not connected.
• Selection functions for in-screen editing have been improved, which will prove to be very useful for objects located on top of each other. If an object is selected by right-clicking it and selecting in-screen editing only this very object can be edited in the screen, i.e. it is not possible to pick the wrong image by mistake. Moreover, by highlighting an object the screen object is also selected automatically.
• The selected ranges the keyframes are to take effect on are now displayed next to the mouse pointer during In-Screen Editing. This way incorrectly chosen tools can be recognised more easily.
• The live player buttons now indicate the status Play, Pause or Stop. Moreover, the elapsed and the remaining runtime is also displayed. Fade in and out times for Play and Stop are now preset to one second by default.
• Function Extras - Check project now also checks screen fields and displays. Any unclear problems in multidisplay projects to do with performance and data transfer may be cleared up using this function.
• At certain locations in the timeline, e.g. the track separation lines when highlighting a portion or at the right separation line of live player or track sliders when adjusting the width a Ctrl symbol is displayed next to the mouse pointer. This indicates that the Ctrl button must be pressed.
Note: After opening old Wings Platinum 4 projects the display data must be recreated in order to allow the show to be presented. The new display data are saved to the subfolder .w5.
Attention: The Mix groups known from Wings Platinum are no longer available as their functions have been assumed by the variables. When older projects containing mix groups are loaded the old mix group name is displayed in brackets in front of the track name. This allows you to change over to the new variable control. Currently, the control of track contents via variables only works for picture and video tracks but not yet for audio tracks.
There is now a total of ten new realtime effects available, which are contained in the following licenses:
• BoxBlur (improved blur with greater effect),
• FlipPage (transition effect Flip Page)
• Glow (overexposure similar to Highkey Effect)
• Jitter effect
• Exposure (increases saturation and lightens shadow)
• MonochromePro (reduces to black/white and offers a number of parameters for optimization).
• ColorMap (dynamic inversion of colors in line with effect textures)
• Outline (produces lines at high-contrast edges)
• Radar (an internal, moving masks produces a radar-like image)
• Zoom (high-quality zoom into pictures)
• During In-Screen-Editing the frame that shows the visible range during presentation is now dashed in black and white. It is therefore better visible even in very light pictures
• There are new snap functions and guide lines available for the timeline. It is now possible to enable guide lines for markers via the right button in the marker track head. Moreover, the snap-to behavior of the Locator in the main menu Timeline - Snap can now be changed selectively (raster, guide lines, objects). The raster width can be entered separately for every timeline in the Timeline Properties.
• The Video Engine has been completely revised and offers distinctly improved performance for playback of original video files. Intermediate video data are therefore only required in in cases of emergency or for integration of picture sequences. Export of videos and picture sequences has also been clearly accelerated.
• Control via variables and formulas clearly expands the range of available options. On the one hand, the pool of variables is the connection to the Avio System and, on the other, the variables can also be used within Wings Vioso using the new formula parser. This allows a virtually unlimited number of processes, e.g. object movements, to be controlled both mathematically and by means of external devices.
• Every track has an optional slider for controlling transparency and volume, as well as position, zoom, rotation and rotational center. The sliders are suitable for live control of the parameters during the presentation and have an override function.
• Video tracks now feature a Live player that can be enabled as desired and allows you to play on impulse any number of videos during a presentation. The live player is enabled via a button in the function bar. After highlighting a video track, the configuration is shown in the Properties Table.
• Video objects can now be exported as Wings videos. This reduces the amount of data in projects or EXE presentations, when only a small part of a long original video is required for a show.
• All the Wings Platinum Show Control functions are now contained in the Pro License, which means that the Pro License has been distinctly upgraded.
• The Warping Engine has been completely revised and upgraded to include new technology that ensures the further development of the software. Attention: Unfortunately, the Warp settings of Wings Platinum projects are not compatible, which means that new warping settings are required. Using the new tools, editing of warp grids has become so much more intuitive and faster. For example, multiple selection of intersection points is now also possible.
• The quality of Intermediate video data has been improved by increasing the data rate (Q2 to Q4). Moreover, the data rate is also adjusted in accordance with the video image size. This ensures a very high quality even for image sizes beyond full HD. Depending on the video footing the performance requirements may be slightly higher than for qualities Q2 to Q4 of Wings Platinum 4. In addition to this, there is no need to set positioning as it has been fixed to mode P2 and a keyframe interval of 20 frames.
• When you execute a trigger via a function key, all triggers for which a function key is specified will now be executed. This is a useful feature for control via track transparency and variable triggers.
• There are new procedures with a frame doubler available for deinterlacing of videos, which ensure very soft and swift playback of movements.
• Cropping of videos can now be performed either in the Pool Object or in the Timeline Object, depending on the required application.
• The time display format can now very easily be changed from decimal notation with comma to frames. Frame rates ranging from 24 to 60 frames/second can be selected.
• Wings Platinum has been provided with a lighter interface design as desired by some users. Those who prefer the darker design of Wings Platinum 4 can enable it in the Options.
• Display data are now available in their entirety, i.e. the border of 1 pixel along the periphery for the creation of pixel-accurate alignment images or for images for LED walls no longer need to be added. If you open such Wings Platinum projects in Wings Vioso you may have to crop these images by the previously added border in order to a obtain pixel-accurate display.
• The Wings Platinum settings are no longer stored in the Windows Registry but in a separate INI-file which can be found under Extras - Open folder Settings and can be opened with a Text Editor. Attention: Modifications must only be made by experienced users! Otherwise, Wings 5 may not work properly any more.
• Running presentations can no longer be stopped by clicking the timeline. This prevents operating errors. A presentation can only be stopped by hitting the Esc key
• In order to allow audio to be extracted from videos whose audio data have been saved in the opposite Byte order function Swap audio data has been included in the Pool Properties of videos.
• For Multihead output (several displays on one PC) video performance for certain projects has been distinctly improved